Like other AAS, boldenone is an agonist of the androgen receptor (AR).  The activity of boldenone is mainly anabolic , with a low androgenic potency. Boldenone will increase nitrogen retention, protein synthesis, increases appetite and stimulates the release of erythropoietin in the kidneys.  Boldenone was synthesized in an attempt to create a long-acting injectable metandienone , for androgen deficiency disorders. Boldenone acts similar to metandienone with fewer adverse androgenic effects. [ medical citation needed ] Although commonly compared to nandrolone , boldenone lacks progesterone receptor interaction and associated progestogenic side effects.
(1) da Justa Neves DB, Marcheti RG, Caldas ED. Incidence of anabolic steroid counterfeiting in Brazil. Forensic Sci Int 2013; 228(1-3): e81-3
(2) Santamarina RD, Besocke AG, Romano LM, Ioli PL, Gonorazky SE. Ischemic stroke related to anabolic abuse. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2008; 31(2): 80-5
(3) Small M, McArdle BM, Lowe GD, Forbes CD, Prentice CR. The effect of intramuscular stanozolol on fibrinolysis and blood Res. 1982 Oct 1;28(1):27-36.
(4) Lau DH, Stiles MK, John B, Shashidhar, Young GD, Sanders P. Atrial fibrillation and anabolic steroid abuse. Int J Cardiol. 2007 Apr 25;117(2):e86-7
(5) Kluft C, Preston FE, Malia RG, Bertina RM, Wijngaards G, Greaves M, Verheijen JH, Dooijewaard G. Stanozolol-induced changes in fibrinolysis and coagulation in healthy adults. Thromb Haemost. 1984 Apr 30;51(2):157-64.
(6) Lane HA, Grace F, Smith JC, Morris K, Cockcroft J, Scanlon MF, Davies JS. Impaired vasoreactivity in bodybuilders using androgenic anabolic steroids. Eur J Clin Invest. 2006 Jul;36(7):483-8.
(7) Stimac D, Milić S, Dintinjana RD, Kovac D, Ristić S. Androgenic/Anabolic steroid-induced toxic hepatitis J Clin Gastroenterol. 2002 Oct;35(4):350-2.
(8) Socas L, Zumbado M, Pérez-Luzardo O, Ramos A, Pérez C, Hernández JR, Boada LD. Hepatocellular adenomas associated with anabolic androgenic steroid abuse in bodybuilders: a report of two cases and a review of the literature. Br J Sports Med. 2005 May;39(5):e27.
(9) Melnik B, Jansen T, Grabbe S. Abuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids and bodybuilding acne: an underestimated health problem. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2007 Feb;5(2):110-7.
(10)Brower KJ, Blow FC, Young JP, Hill EM. Symptoms and correlates of anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence. Br J Addict. 1991 Jun;86(6):759-68.
(11) Alén M, Häkkinen health and fitness of an elite bodybuilder during 1 year of self-administration of testosterone and anabolic steroids: a case study. Int J Sports Med. 1985 Feb;6(1):24-9.
(12) Chimento A, Sirianni R, Zolea F, De Luca A, Lanzino M, Catalano S, Andò S, Pezzi V. Nandrolone and stanozolol induce Leydig cell tumor proliferation through an estrogen-dependent mechanism involving IGF-I system. J Cell Physiol. 2012 May;227(5):2079-88.
(13) Hartgens F, Kuipers H. Effects of androgenic-anabolic steroids in athletes. Sports Med. 2004;34(8):513-54.
(14) Brower KJ, Eliopulos GA, Blow FC, Catlin DH, Beresford TP. Evidence for physical and psychological dependence on anabolic androgenic steroids in eight weight lifters. Am J Psychiatry. 1990 Apr;147(4):510-2.
(15)Topo E, Soricelli A, D’Aniello A, Ronsini S, D’Aniello G. The role and molecular mechanism of D-aspartic acid in the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans and rats. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009 Oct 27;7:120.
The use of anabolic steroids such as Winstrol may be associated with serious adverse reactions, many of which are dose related. Patients should be placed on the lowest possible effective dose. Medications that may interact with Winstrol include anticoagulants (blood thinners), insulin , or an oral diabetes medicine. Tell your doctor all medications you are taking. Winstrol is known to cause birth defects in a fetus. Do not take this medication if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether Winstrol is excreted in human milk. Many drugs are excreted in human milk and there is the potential for adverse reactions in nursing infants from anabolic steroids. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.